Welcome

Coordinator
Nov 7, 2010 at 3:16 AM
Edited Nov 7, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Just wanted to welcome everyone to the D3 Community Development project. Please feel free to grab the latest check-in from the Source Code tab and start providing feedback and contributions to make it better.

Thanks,

Jason

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Jason,

I tried the sample and it looks promising (especially when you undefine the "always rendering" directive).

I have one question, will it be possible to make the D3 fallback to WPF whenever it can't render directly on DirectX? This is important to make it compatible with Terminal Services and other remoting technologies. It would be great if WPF and DirectX where interchangeable as a rendering engine.

Best regards,

Diego

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Hi Diego,

This is something that Kishore(the other developer) and I have been discussing. I will be looking at it over the next week or so to see what, if any solution can be implemented to work around the RDP/DirectX issue, as I may have a need for the same thing at a later date in my current project.

Thanks,

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Aparently, on Windows Server 2008 R2 the DirectX 10/11 API calls are transmitted to the client machine and executed locally. But it doesn't work in any other OS version. Somehow WPF is able to overcome this limitation as we know that it's using DirectX behind the scenes. Let me know if you discover anything, I'll keep researching. I'm going to need RDP support too on my project.

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 7:12 PM

The SlimDXControl has some properties implemented that might allow me to defer to WPF rendering if DirectX is unavailable, as is the case during RDP. The only issue, is that the performance will get back to intolerable WPF levels on many thousands of points.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:28 PM
Well, you know you can always shrink the number of points to the visible area. If you have a canvas that is 1 thousand pixels wide, you can't draw more than 2 thousand points. I don't know how D3 handles this situation but you have to aggregate the points before displaying it so you don't draw twice over the same pixels, because it's just wast of processing.

That has to be acceptable on RDP.

Diego Frata
diego.frata@gmail.com

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Foxman13 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The SlimDXControl has some properties implemented that might allow me to defer to WPF rendering if DirectX is unavailable, as is the case during RDP. The only issue, is that the performance will get back to intolerable WPF levels on many thousands of points.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (d3commdev@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email d3commdev@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com